A. Landmarks and Attractions Near Iloilo International Airport
Iloilo Province Landmarks
The mansion was built in the 1920s and was first occupied by Dona Petra Lacson. She married Estanislao Yusay, who was Manila’s judge of the Court of First Instance. The couple had 10 children and their family became one of the most influential in the Molo district.
The mansion was later occupied by Iloilo Governor Timoteo Consing Sr., who served from 1935 to 1937. The house became more famous when it hosted two Philippine Presidents, Manuel L. Quezon and Sergio Osmeña during their official trips to the city.
The Molo Mansion, also known as the Yusay-Consing Mansion, is one of the most outstanding examples of historical homes not just in Iloilo, but the entire country. This grand structure, which faces the town plaza and St. Anne Parish Church, was rescued and restored by a private developer after years of ruin. Now it’s a heritage museum with a cultural retail shop that showcases products and local delicacies.
From its humble church originally made of tabique pampango in 1863, the Gothic-Renaissance structure was made in 1869. Molo Church was visited by Dr. Jose Rizal in 1866 because of some biblical painting, which can no longer be seen in the church. Withstanding the passage of time, Molo Church proves its strong structure during the Second World War, when it serves as an evacuation center. The church also withstood several strong earthquakes and storms in the past. In 1992, Molo Parish Church was declared as a national landmark by the National Historical Institute.
It is also known as St. Anne Parish Church, it is famous for being “the feminist church” and the only one in the country with 16 statues of female saints lined in two rows perched inside the church. These saints are Sta. Marcela, Apolonia, Genoveva, Isabel, Felicia, Ines, Monica, Magdalena, Juliana, Lucia, Rosa de Lima, Teresa, Clara, Cecilia, Margarita and Marta.
Along with the boom of the sugar industry of the Philippines especially centered in Iloilo, several churches and schools are constructed in Jaro. The present cathedral structure was finished in 1874 by the first Bishop of Jaro, Mariano Cuartero, O.P. It was destroyed by the January 1948 Lady Caycay earthquake and later repaired in 1956 by the first Archbishop of Jaro, José María Cuenco.
The Marian image of Our Lady of the Candles also has the distinction of being canonically crowned personally by Pope John Paul II during his visit to Iloilo City on February 21, 1981, making it as the only Marian figure to be given such stature in the Philippines. The journalist, national hero, and co-founder of the Propaganda Movement, Graciano López Jaena, was baptized in the cathedral on December 20, 1856.
The National Historical Institute of the Philippines declared the Jaro Cathedral an historical landmark in 1976. In January 2012, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines approved the cathedral as the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Candles,
the first Marian-dedicated church or cathedral to receive such status in Visayas and Mindanao. The current parish priest/cathedral rector is Msgr. Jose Marie Amado Delgado.
Jaro Cathedral, formally known as Jaro Metropolitan Cathedral and the National Shrine of Our Lady of the Candles (Spanish: Santuario Nacional de Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria), is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Jaro.
Calle Real (Royal Street in Spanish), officially named as J.M. Basa Street, is a historic street located in the old downtown district Iloilo City Proper of Philippines. The street often referred to as the “Escolta of Iloilo”. It is home to several fine examples of historic luxury American era neoclassical, beaux-arts, and art deco buildings. The street has been famous since the Spanish Era. However, its importance has dwindled and the street has become less maintained; yet there have been efforts to revitalize the street, which include the restoration of the historic buildings along the street and beautification projects.
The street’s heritage designation by the local government has been expanded into a zone known as Calle Real Heritage Zone which covers the long stretch of J.M. Basa and the streets and thoroughfares of Aldeguer, Mapa, Ortiz, Muelle Loney (Loney Wharf), Solis, Rizal, Iznart (from Chinese Arch to Iloilo Central Market).
Iloilo City Hall
Iloilo City Hall plays an important part in the development of Iloilo. The building’s design was envisioned in 1908, when Rosauro Jocson of Arevalo was the Mayor of Iloilo. This did not come to fruition, however, until Vice President Pablo Nava submitted a plan to the Municipal Council on December 27, 1928. Juliana Melliza, a philanthropist and well-to-do Molo landowner, donated 10.8 hectares as the construction site on February 28, 1929.
According to the July 10, 1934 issue of the local newspaper “Ang Makinaugalingon,” the City Hall was recognized as the largest building in Visayas and Mindanao during the Commonwealth Era. It was inaugurated with great fanfare in December 1936, as Iloilo was elevated from a municipality to a district. In 1937, Mayor Ramon Campos was the first city official to occupy this building.
The entire structure was characterized by neo-classical features, including uniformly arched windows, high ceilings, a dome, and extensive patio furniture. Tropical and nativist elements reminiscent of the Filipino “bahay na bato” were also visible, including large sliding main door windows, ventanillas, and elevated wooden floors. The stylized sculptures at the entry, as well as the decorated walls and chandeliers, show strong Art Deco influences.
Casa de Real Iloilo, or the “Old Capitol Building of Iloilo “is a building with a colorful history that has rendered it to be considered as a national historical site. It is a beautiful piece of heritage and architecture.
Construction of the Casa Real or old Capitol building was initiated by then Governor Jose Maria Carles who served from 1862 to 1867. The architecture of the building originally followed the format of the traditional Filipino “Bahay na Bato” from its concrete ground floor and wooden upper floor, elaborate interior details, a grand staircase, and spacious halls. But the building’s architecture has been altered a couple of times, in 1910 they rebuilt the second floor using concrete. Additions to the facade, and an extension in the 60’s. On November 1998, a fire of unknown origin damaged the Provincial Capitol Building of Iloilo, engulfing its extension at the back leaving only the main building. This resulted in the construction of a new six-storeys Provincial Capitol building of Iloilo initiated by Gov. Arthur D. Defensor, Sr. A building that now stands behind the historic building. This historic building has also assumed many names throughout the years. It had been known at one time or another as Casa Gobierno de Iloilo, Palacio del Gobernador, Casa Real, Provincial Building, its most controversial title of “President Garcia Hall”, even when President Garcia was still alive which is a violation under Republic Act 1059. After that was settled they renamed it to Iloilo Provincial Capitol and retracted back to Casa Real in 2016.
Casa De Real Iloilo Is a testament to Iloilo’s beautiful past. nowadays, Casa Real is a preferred venue for private parties, government functions and cultural events. But the architecture of the building is timeless. Even after the renovations, the essence of “Bahay na bato” is still there, and the building is a sight to behold.
Sta. Barbara Church
In 1991, the National Heritage Institute declared the Santa Barbara Church and Convent as a National Landmark. The declaration is a testimony of the significance of the Church especially its important role in the Country’s history as the general headquarters and military hospital of the revolutionary forces against Spain in the Visayas during the late 1800s.
The church was the site where General Martin Delgado of the Visayan Revolutionary Government convened the junta that raised the first Cry of Revolution against Spain outside Luzon. Its churchyard that time was packed with Filipino soldiers, armed with bolos and eager to fight for freedom.
Framed by the outer wall of the right side of the church and the L-shaped convent, the inner patio is one of the most interesting parts of the church. The view of the church’s yellow sandstone and Spanish-colonial elements of the convent, especially of its balcony, create an ambiance of ancient living and Hispanic life.
Santa Barbara Church was built in 1845 and is of Baroque Renaissance architecture. The whole structure imposes simplicity and beauty. Its facade is neoclassic, proven by twinned neoclassic pilasters and finials. Beside it is the convent, which is reminiscent of Moorish architecture. The interior of the church is neoclassic in style. It has three altars more elaborate than the facade and an intricately designed pulpit on the left side of the wall.
Displayed at the left side of the church is one of the old bells of Santa Barbara Church. Meanwhile, behind the church is a tree shaded park featuring Stations of the Cross and a garden of Saints. On the outer wall of the church is a sculpture relief illustrating the story of the Revolution in Iloilo including scenes in Santa Barbara, Molo, and Jaro.
Iloilo Golf and Country Club
The Iloilo Golf Course and Country Club is the oldest golf course in South East Asia. It all began in the 1850s when the British, led by Iloilo-based Vice Consul Nicholas Loney – – known today as the “Father of the Philippine Sugar Industry” – – began actively trading in various Visayan goods, especially sugar. While promoting the local economy, Loney also sought to enhance foreign access to Philippine products through improved sea and land transportation.
With the coming of the American colonizers at the turn of the century, the Philippine Commission, then the legislative body of the country, took cognizance of the vigorous economic activity in the Visayas, and ordered the construction of roads and railway systems. British expertise and technology in steam locomotives were resorted to and this, in turn, led to arrival of Scottish engineers as employees of the Panay Railways Company in Iloilo.
Garin Farm is an agricultural, recreational, and spiritual site in one located at Purok 2, San Joaquin, Iloilo. It is an inland resort that is foremost a functional farm with several agricultural features but also has leisure activities and a pilgrimage site that can all be enjoyed by visiting guests.
- Functional Farm
Garin Farm features a vast land area that is home to various livestock, farm animals, and crops. Several agricultural practices and activities are also done on-site like real-life farming and animal-raising of which the produce are either sold inside, served in the in-house restaurant, or taken to bigger suppliers.
As livestock and animals are raised, the odors can be uncomfortable for some but the views and other experiences onsite make up for it. Walking past these animals on a 15-minute pathway leads visitors to a thoughtfully designed 5000 square meter lagoon.
There is a certain part in the Garin Farm portraying the traditional song “Bahay Kubo” that talks about different local vegetables grown around a typical native hut house in the Philippines.
- Recreation and Leisure
More than a farm, Garin Farm is also a great spot for leisurely activities suited for families. Activities and facilities offered include zip line across the lagoon, buggy car, boat paddling, fishing, and a swimming pool. The resort also has fully-air-conditioned and glass-walled rooms with amazing mountain views for overnight stay as well as bigger pavilions for corporate events, conferences, and other functions.
One of the main draws of Garin Farm is its Pilgrimage Hill: A Journey from Creation to Ascencion. Popularly referred to as the “Stairway to Heaven”, this pilgrimage site is comprised of a 480-step staircase where visitors can walk past major biblical scenarios like the Birth and Baptism of Christ, the Last Supper, the Agony in the Garden, the Crucifixion, the Resurrection, and the Ascencion and then ends in what looks to be like a depiction of heaven with a huge cross and other sculptures set in immaculate white.
Fort San Pedro
Fort San Pedro, also known as Fort Nuestra Senora del Rosario, is situated along San Pedro Drive in the domestic port district. The castle, which was quadrilateral in form and measured 60 by 60 meters, was constructed between 1603 and 1616.
The walls were made from cut-outs of Guimaras, bricks, and coral stones found along the Panay Coast. It is about 12 feet high at low tide and 30 feet deep. Fort San Pedro was founded to defend the city from invaders such as Dutch and Moro pirates who posed a threat to Iloilo. The fort fell into disrepair in the early twentieth century and was completely demolished after World War II.
B. Location of Iloilo International Airport
The Iloilo International Airport is also known as Iloilo Airport, and as Cabatuan Airport, after the municipality of Cabatuan, Iloilo where it is located, is the airport serving the province of Iloilo in the Philippines, including its capital city, Iloilo City, the regional center of the Western Visayas region. It opened its doors to commercial traffic on June 14, 2007, after a decade of planning and construction, replacing Mandurriao Airport in Mandurriao, Iloilo City which had been in service for over seventy years. As a result, the new airport inherited its IATA and ICAO airport codes, as well as its position as the fourth-busiest airport in the Philippines, from its predecessor.
It is the first airport in both Western Visayas and the island of Panay to be built to international standards, and it is also considered to be the primary gateway into the region. It is classified as an international airport by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines.
The airport is located in Cabatuan, Iloilo, 24 kilometers (15 mi) northwest of Iloilo City on a 188-hectare (460-acre) site spread across Barangays Tabucan, Tiring, Gaub, Duyan-Duyan, and Manguna The airport complex consists of a single runway, various administrative and maintenance buildings, waste-sorting and water-treatment facilities, a power-generating station, a cargo terminal, and the main passenger terminal.
C. Available Transportation Accessible to Passengers Around Iloilo International Airport
There are eleven (11) transport concessionaires operating at Iloilo International Airport categorized as Multicab, Taxi and Transport Vans. Only one (1) concessionaire operates Multicab routing from Iloilo Int’l. Airport to Sta. Barbara and vice versa. The ATOP and Light of Glory operate as taxi services and seven (7) concessionaires as Van Operators.
These are the list of eleven (11) Transport Operators:
- Aerostar 1 Transport
- A. Real Transport
- SST Transport
- Five-O Transport
- L & Jophe Travel & Tours
- Light of Glory
- RMT Transport
- Southwest Tours (Boracay), Inc.
- R.N. Sorongon Multicab Transport, Inc.
- ZKR Transport
D. Contact Numbers for Iloilo International Airport
|Airport Manager’s Office||(033) 3299500 / (033) 3201206|
|Area Manager’s Office||(033) 3330024|
E. Concessions in Iloilo International Airport
PASSENGER TERMINAL BUILDING (PTB) – GROUND LEVEL
Iloilo International Airport Passenger Terminal Building (PTB) Ground Floor Level is accessible to all departing public air passengers this is where the operational airlines’ carrier check-in counters are located such as Cebu Pacific Air, Philippine Airlines, Philippine Air Asia, and one (1) food souvenir kiosk.
Other Services: Restroom, Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB), Travel Tax Counter (TIEZA), and Airline Offices.
PASSENGER TERMINAL BUILDING (PTB) – 2ND LEVEL
Facilities: Philippine Airlines Supervisor’s Offices, Cebu Pacific Air Briefing Room/ Supervisor’s Office and Kitchenette, VIP Room, and Airport Manager Office
PRE-DEPARTURE PTB, PUBLIC CONCOURSE– 3RD LEVEL
PASSENGER TERMINAL BUILDING (PTB) PRE-DEPARTURE – 3RD LEVEL
PASSENGER TERMINAL BUILDING (PTB) ARRIVAL – GROUND LEVEL
PTB ARRIVAL, PUBLIC CONCOURSE – GROUND LEVEL
CARGO FORWARDER – LANDSIDE AREA
FUEL PROVIDER – LANDSIDE
GENERAL AVIATION – AIRSIDE